Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors. The people of the United Methodist Church.

Our Heritage

The beginnings of our church as we know it today, were the result of six people meeting with a Methodist circuit rider, H. B. Lane, of the Walla Walla Conference, in 1871 in the old Courthouse.

In 1874, a lot was secured on Thompson Street which is now SE Third, and church services were held there for twenty years until a brewery was built next door. When that happened, the Methodists felt it was time to move. So in 1902 planning started under the leadership of Rev. Robert Warner. The cornerstone was laid for our present building, located at 356 SE Second, in the spring of 1906. It is interesting to note that in addition to church members, about 100 local businesses contributed 5% of their gross sales for two days to help pay for the new church which cost about $29,000. The interior was wood fiber and sand finish and the beautiful exterior stonework was hand fitted under the direction of John Horn, the general contractor. The stones came from Baker City on railroad flat cars which were then hauled to the church by horse drawn drays. Dedications services were held June 2, 1907.

Inside the church sanctuary.

The historic pipe organ was given by Lowell Stockman and the stained glass windows were generously given by church members.

The past 104 years have been eventful, and included two fires in 1954 and 1977, as well as other hardships. Yet we are thankful that God has also blessed us greatly, which has enabled us to serve the Pendleton community in Christ's name to this day.